The division offers round the clock specialised diagnostic services and maintains high accuracy in the areas of Bacteriology, Mycology, Mycobacteriology and Parasitology. The division has state-of-the-art facilities like BacT/Alert automated blood culture system, VITEK 2 automated identification and sensitivity system and VIDAS enzyme linked fluorescent assay system which constitutes a major technological improvement with a positive impact on the workflow of the laboratory and turnaround time of specimens. The technologists and staff of the department are trained to work independently, to ensure smooth functioning and compliance with the quality systems. The division also supports infection control activities of the institution.
- o Microscopy & Culture of clinical specimens, Isolation & identification of bacterial pathogens, Antibiotic Susceptibility Testing (AST) of isolates.
- Microscopy & Culture
- Isolation and identification of filamentous fungi
- Identification & Antifungal susceptibility testing of yeasts using VITEK 2 automated identification and sensitivity system.
- Ziehl Neelsen Staining
- Designated Microscopy Centre (DMC) for detection of acid fast bacilli (AFB staining) under District Tuberculosis Centre, Thiruvananthapuram.
- AFB culture
- Wet film examination of stool sample for ova, cysts and larvae of parasites.
- Modified acid fast staining for intestinal coccidian parasites.
- Widal Test
- Hepatitis markers ‚Äď Anti-HBs antibody
- Anti-HBs Total
- HBe Antigen
- Anti-HBe antibody
- Anti-HAV IgM
- For infection control purposes.